Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Day 2

Today I arrived at 8 AM where officer Sean Wilson was waiting for me to bring me out in his cruiser for a ride along.  We drove around for a while and I was able to ask him some questions.  I asked him what his thoughts were on the recent events involving police officers.  He told me that there are most likely some bad cops that make decisions that shouldn't reflect the rest of the police officers that are making the right choices.  When I asked him about his thoughts on the body camera's that might be introduced to police officers he said he didn't think that would solve many issues because of the way the media can manipulate the video footage.  He brought up an instance he knew about where an officer with a body camera got in trouble for striking a handcuffed individual after the person in cuffs had grabbed his private parts.  In the video however you could not see the perpetrator grabbing the officer so it looked like he struck the prisoner for no reason.  After talking for a while we made our first stop.  It was on someone who had blown through a stop sign.  When officer Wilson approached the car he touched the back of the car with his fingers on his way to the driver's window.  When he returned to the car I asked why he had touched the car like that and he told me it is something most officers do so that if the car gets away, but is found they can check the back for fingerprints in order to link the car to the officer.  We then went to the Manchester Police Department to pick up a prisoner who had a warrant out for her arrest in connection to a robbery in Salem.  I then learned that when a male officer picks up a female prisoner he has to call in the mileage on his car before he leaves with her and then call the mileage back in on his car when he arrives at his final destination so that if there is any accusations against him they can check the miles of the route he took and compare it with the miles on his car so that if he went say 6 extra miles then something could have happened, but if the miles check out then they will know it was a false accusation.  Also he showed me how the computers in their cars work in terms of searching license plate numbers, however I was not allowed to look at peoples information because of legal issues that could come up if I did.

1 comment:

  1. You are having such interesting conversations, and learning so much--I am glad you are asking these questions.

    ReplyDelete