Monday, May 4, 2015

Day 1

Today was my first day working with the Salem Police Department.  At 8 this morning Officer Dan Nelson met me at the police station where we then went to the Salem court house for a tour of that because I will be spending most of my time there this week.  Because I haven't spent time in a court room before we sat in and listened to cases for a while so I could see what it is like.  While the judge put the court on recess we talked about my plan for the week.  Most of the cases we sat in on were Class A misdemeanors that had been committed in Salem.  None of the people charged were sentenced with jail time, instead they were given hefty fines.  Most of the people were there due to drugs and alcohol, which made me realize how naive I was about big of a problem drugs and alcohol were in Salem.

5 comments:

  1. Great job, Derek. Sounds like you are going to learn so much during your project--not just about the legal system, but also about your community. Post a picture, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek Seems like it was just yesterday that we were orientation together. The knowledge you are gaining is terrific and the impact that drugs and alcohol has i dramatic. Great work! John Ferris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, it doesn't seem like it was four years ago that we were on orientation. Time flies!

      Delete
  3. Hey Britner, what do Salem police officers think of “probable” as a standard of guilt/innocence in deflategate?

    ReplyDelete